|What do we do? - News|
EPOCA invites teachers and scientists to join forces in order to develop young people’s understanding of global change, discover scientific research on the topic and act locally to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. If you are a scientist, technician, PhD student or other research staff involved in EPOCA or any other Global Change Research and if you want to:
• share your knowledge with schools/teachers/students
• be challenged by questions
• increase your communication skill
• share the responsibility of bringing research results to citizens
Then join a CarboSchools project!
Why work with schools?
• Reach school children with your results, transfer climate research knowledge to pupils
• Share your fascination, raise attractiveness of science, make the students active and enthusiastic about science
• Increase young people’s knowledge and understanding of global change and sustainability
• Make people aware of science-based decisions which impact their day-to-day life
• Contribute to changing people’s behaviour and reducing greenhouse gases emissions
• Influence politicians through a better understanding by the public
• Develop citizenship, help future citizens to forge their opinion, to understand and participate in the scientific and political debate on the topic and to look for solutions for the future
What sort of activities can you be involved in?
• Real-time experiments (in labs, the field or at school)
• Site visits
• Topical lectures and debates (for teachers and/or pupils)
• Access to research results
• Follow-up communication by e-mail (questions/answers with students)
How much time is it going to take you?
• From a few hours to a few days within a project duration of a few weeks to a few months, depending on constraints, goals, availabilities – you set the limits
• HIGHLY rewarding for the amount of time spent
What can be your benefits?
• Fulfil institutional educational obligations and funding criteria
• Have fun (increase diversity in work – get away from daily tasks)
• Be a “role model” for pupils
• Enhance your communication skills
• Make your research relevant to the people living in your community
• Help recruitment (university students, researchers)
If you are interested:
• Visit www.carboschools.org or www.epoca-project.eu (What do we do? -> Education )
• Propose a partnership project to teachers you know, or get in touch with a school nearby
• If needed, ask for support from Philippe Saugier, CarboSchools coordinator philippe (at) carboschools.org